All women considering the abortion pill deserve to know about the side effects and risks of the abortion pill.
The abortion pill includes very strong drugs, and with each, you may experience side effects after taking them. Side effects vary from person to person and no two women’s experiences are alike.
Why it's done
The reasons for having a medical abortion are highly personal. You can choose medical abortion to complete an early miscarriage or end an unwanted pregnancy. You can also choose to have a medical abortion if you have a medical condition that makes continuing a pregnancy life-threatening.
Potential risks of medical abortion include:
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing unwanted pregnancy if the procedure doesn't work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
You must be certain about your decision before beginning a medical abortion. If you decide to continue the pregnancy after taking medications used in medical abortion, your pregnancy may be at risk of major complications.
Medical abortion hasn't been shown to affect future pregnancies unless complications develop.
Medical abortion isn't an option if you:
- Are too far along in your pregnancy. You shouldn't attempt a medical abortion if you've been pregnant for more than nine weeks (after the start of your last period). Some types of medical abortion aren't done after seven weeks of pregnancy.
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD).
- Have a suspected pregnancy outside of the uterus (ectopic pregnancy).
- Have certain medical conditions. These include bleeding disorders; certain heart or blood vessel diseases; severe liver, kidney or lung disease; or an uncontrolled seizure disorder.
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medications.
- Can't make follow-up visits to your doctor or don't have access to emergency care.
- Have an allergy to the medications used.
If you regret your decision after taking the first abortion pill, you can still save your pregnancy, but time is of the essence!