In addition to finding the cause and learning about yourself, you need to break from your current tendency for destructive relationship behaviors and patterns. This can be done by building healthy, flexible boundaries in your relationships. This is often very difficult for a codependent person to accomplish at first, so work with your mental health professional to learn about boundaries and how to incorporate them into your life.
This can be done by learning how to:
- Lovingly detach yourself from others
- Release your control of others needs and well-being
- Recognize your internal criticisms and personal need for perfection
- Accept yourself and any uncomfortable emotions
- Become assertive about your personal needs and values