Dealing with Heat
- Have a fire extinguisher available in the kitchen. This should be used for paper, grease and electrical fires. Do not throw water on a grease fire; use baking soda to smother those flames.
- Use communication in the kitchen when working with other people. Always announce yourself when moving hot food or walking behind someone.
- Always assume that the handle of a pot or pan is hot. Use a DRY kitchen towel or protective oven mitt when grabbing for handles and trays.
- Flames and steam will cause burns. Keep a safe distance from both.
- Keep a first aid kit in the kitchen or close by so you can care for any injuries right away.
- Call 911 in case of an emergency!