Getting on track with a budget can take a month or two. You’ve lived all this time without a spending plan, so give yourself time to adjust. Don’t be afraid to ask for help if things aren’t falling into place.
If you can afford it, give yourself a little “mad money” each pay. You don’t need to track what you spend it on. This can be the best way to help yourself stick to your plan!
By the third month, your spending plan should be up and running. Congratulations, you have taken control of your finances! However, if it isn’t working yet, ask yourself a few questions:
- Did I calculate my income correctly?
- Are my expense figures accurate?
- Is everyone's income and expenses accounted for?
- Is my plan based on actual numbers or what I hope I can earn or spend?
- Did I give it a fair chance?
- Do I need professional advice?